Labels

Monday, November 19, 2012

Let's Give Thanks Part I: Better Than Your Mama's Sweet Potatoes



Today begins what will be a 4 part mini-series about Thanksgiving and everything that I find important about it.

I am not going to share every single one of my Thanksgiving Day recipes, because, lets face it, I will need things to blog about for future holidays. That, and, most people already know their favorite way to do it, and I don't want to change all that up.
There is one part of the traditional fare that I think everyone should change, and that is the sweet potatoes. Most people serve them in a casserole topped with tiny marshmallows. While you may like this dish, I am going to go out a limb and assume that it is not your favorite dish on the table. Yeah, you probably eat it, but you wouldn't eat it by itself.
My sweet potato recipe is so good that I make it at every holiday. Every. single. one.
Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Easter, Tuesday.....you get the idea.
And I make a quadruple batch.
And everyone asks for the recipe.
And we eat the leftovers by themselves (if we have any!) for several days afterward, sometimes even for breakfast.
Still not sold?
They are made in the crock pot.
If that didn't get you, I don't know what will. So here it is folks,
my (sort of) world famous
"Better than your mama's" Sweet Potatoes
and may I add, that even my mama, one of the most talented cooks that I know, says that these are better than hers!

Ingredients:
3 large cans of sweet potatoes, drained
1 stick of real butter
1 cup chunky applesauce
2 granny smith apples, cored and diced (with peel on)
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
dash of nutmeg

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Allow to simmer all day on low, at least 4 hours. You are looking for a chunky but cohesive mixture. The longer you allow it to simmer, the more integrated the flavors become, and the more delicious. 

A very happy Thanksgiving, from our household to yours!





No comments:

Post a Comment